Monday, June 21, 2010

The Big Scary Cake

So this past weekend, my little sister Ashley got married and she had asked me (read: told me) to make her wedding cake for her. Now, I like to cook and decorate cakes, but a wedding cake is different. It's huge, fancy, and presented in front of potentially hundreds of people. I was terrified of making this beast. I baked all of the cakes, made all the frosting, fillings, and fondant and got ready to tackle this. She requested a three-tier cake--bottom layer was lemon, middle was chocolate, and top layer was white with a cheesecake layer inside. All of this was to be covered with fondant. At first, she wanted white and navy blue designs on all the tiers. I talked her down to a simple white cake with white designs on it. Now, I was feeling better, but then I stacked the layers together and the bottom tier was HUGE--6 inches tall, 14 inches across, and about 30 pounds. Scared again. So I continued this stressed, scared, worries cycle all throughout the construction of this beast. I finished it about 30 minutes into the reception and we walked it out to the reception area. It felt great to set it on the table and be done. I thought it was cute...and delicious. Mission complete. A big "WHEW"!

4 comments:

Linda Nimer said...

The cake was beautiful and best of all it tasted great! Everyone was very impressed with your skills. Thanks for being such an awesome big sister and daughter.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

not sure why YOU of all people stressed about this... I could have told you it would be beautiful... but now that I see the picture... it's AMAZING! Ashley is so lucky to have sister like you!!!!!!!!!!

Sara said...

Jenny it turned out amazing!!! You really have a talent in making fondant behave ;P

We miss you already. It was odd today not having your sweet family in the foyers... I was all alone with Calvin. Boo. Jaylin and Nolan have LOVED the vacuum. THANK YOU!! They tell everyone that "Sam and Kelsie moved far far away and we are sad." So glad we got to cross paths for a little bit. Hope everything falls into place for you real soon! You deserve a BIG break. Love ya.

Wunda Girl said...

It turned out gorgeous!!!! Well done cakemaster. Mmmm. Wish I could eat some right now. We miss you!